- 8th century B.C. : the appearance of ‘a golden girl' as a robot in the epic poem ‘Ilias' by Homeros
- 3rd century B.C. : the appearance of the bronze giant ‘ Taros' in Greek mythology
- 1st century B.C. : Heron created the revolving ‘play doll.'
the appearance of moving dolls using automatic device and springs
- 1741 : French mechanic Vaucanson built a mechanical duck using toothed wheels.
- 1796 : Japanese Hosokawa invented a doll carrying tea.
- 1773 : Swiss Jaquet Droz invented ‘a doll copying letters.
The first industrial robot was invented and drawing lines were used by robot arms. Robots produced excellent efficiency in simply repeated work and in harsh conditions.
- 1921 : The term ‘robot' was used for the first time in ‘Rosuum's Universial Robots' written by Czech Karel Capek.
- 1951 : Japanese Tezuka Osamu produced the animation “Captain Atom.”
- 1968 : Intelligent robot HAL 9000 appeared in the movie ‘Space Odyssey 2000' produced by Stanley Kubrick.
- 1973 : Japanese Waseda University invented the world's first mechanical man ‘WABOT-1.'
- 1981 : Carnegie Mellon University invented an erect standing robot using electric motors in operating joints.
Robots begin to be used in service fields such as entertainment, household affairs support, crime prevention and events.
- 1996 : Japanese Honda built the first automatic 2-leg walking robot, P2.
- 1997 : Korean KAIST built the Korea's first walking robot ‘Sento.'
- 1999 : Japanese Sony built the pet robot ‘Aibo.'
- 2000 : Japanese Honda built the 2-leg walking robot ‘Ashimo.'
- 2001 : Korean KAIST built the robot ‘AMI' available for emotional expressions.
- 2002 : The film A.I. by Steven Spielberg
Robots judge and move by themselves by AI in the future.
- 2004 : Korean KAIST built the Korean humanoid 'HUBO'